Chip grew up in Cuthbert, Georgia. He attended the University of Georgia where he obtained his B.B.A. degree, summa cum laude, with Highest Honors, in 2000. Chip remained in Athens for law school graduating cum laude in 2003.
After law school, Chip joined the Birmingham, Alabama firm now known as Bradley Arant Boult Cummings, LLP where he was named partner in January 2010. In April 2011, Chip returned home to Georgia as a partner at Atkinson Ferguson, LLC.
Chip is licensed in both Georgia and Alabama and maintains a general civil litigation practice. He has extensive experience defending businesses against a wide range of claims. For example, he has represented a major utility company in business disputes with service providers, personal injury claims, and easement disputes. He also represents banks, property owners, healthcare service providers and insurance companies in business litigation and defends product and equipment manufacturers in products liability cases. Chip has also defended private businesses against employment discrimination claims. He regularly prosecutes ordinance violations and handles condemnation actions for local government entities, and he prosecutes complaints against regulated businesses and individuals for various state agencies.
– University of Georgia, J.D., cum laude, 2003
– University of Georgia, B.B.A., summa cum laude, 2000
– Leadership Georgia, Class of 2020-2021
– Georgia Super Lawyers, 2022
– Rising Star, 2011, 2013-2018
– Walton County Foundation, Inc. – Trustee
– Administrative Council Chair, Monroe First United Methodist Church
– Walton County YMCA Steering Committee
– State Bar of Georgia
– State Bar of Alabama